Le lun. 5 avr. 2021 à 17:42, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> a
écrit :

> I don’t understand the point. The very next version of Maven did get the
> security fix. Just because the release manager decided to follow a peculiar
> version numbering practice unique to Maven doesn’t mean there is a problem.

This had been an issue only because the versioning policy of maven is
undefined.
If defined it is perfectly fine for me.

> I don’t know what you mean by random, nor do I know what you mean by a
> stability statement. AFAIK Maven has been very stable from the 2.x versions
> through the 3.x versions. In some ways too stable, which is why introducing
> new concepts that have been wanted for years is so hard.

Last statements tend to mean that once 4.x will be there, 3.x will be
forgotten and no more maintained.
Since it is a breaking change and if you picked 3.x today it is a big deal
since you have no guarantee you can upgrade without a lot of investment and
get security fixes when needed by just upgrading (and potentially tuning a
bit the conf but not by rewriting the poms for ex).

For 2.x -> 3.x time, the 2.x was maintained some years.
This is very close to the LTS concept, and this is mainly this kind of
statement I'm trying to get to let projects plan properly and not have
maven on their road too easily.
If properly defined it will not impact much maven dev but can save a lot of
time for enterprises and enable them to properly setup their projects in
time.

So overall the definition points are still the same:

1. which versions are maintained (ie can get security fixes - new features
are not required to be in the box here)
2. for how long
3. what does mean version (major.minor.*, major.* for ex) in 1.

"3.x will be supported for 3 more years when 4.x is out and maintained
major versions are guaranteed to get security fixes" is a kind of statement
which solves that - we can also use N=current and N+1 in the statement to
not stick it to 3 and 4.
"4.x is the current released branch, other branch will never be released
anymore" does not work for me for example IMHO (but we can put it on vote
if that's the community desire).

> FWIW, my employer’s repository manager still uses http since it is behind
> a VPN. After trying 3.8.1 I found I had to specify mirrors for all the
> repos even though they are not defined in pom’s. Apparently the fix also
> affects repositories defined in settings.xml.

Yes because it is a mirror and wildcard one.
Using a custom global settings - to override default one - is a solution if
you know all http repositories you want to force to be blocked (can be hard
since you never know all of them by definition and mirroring does not
support custom patterns but can be a quick workaround to upgrade without
blocking builds).