Am 2023-05-27 um 12:10 schrieb Tamás Cservenák:
Howdy,

I do agree with Lukasz here...but

In general, my intention with bringing up this on Slack was motivated by
following reasons:
- we do have ML (signup needed),
- we do have JIRA (ask + approval + signup needed),

But all this is a high barrier for "one off" users, many of our users want
to ASK us about something, so going through hoops and loops above (and
coming back 2 yr after with "please unsub me...") only to post a question
is just a very bad experience.

Moreover, we are very fragmented repository-wide, and I bet that a novice
user will simply be lost:
- WHERE (as in which Maven-* GH repo) to ask
- WHERE (as in which Maven-* GH repo) to report issue
- etc

This is why I recommended "single entry point", a kind of dispatcher
(discussion) repo/GH project, where one off users can hop on, ASK things
and disappear if they like, receive answers where to go, and so on. And if
they feel like it, they could join ML or register to JIRA, something TODAY
EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO REACH OUT TO US must do. Hence, most "one off askers"
would not go so far even.

For me, most reasonable would be a new "discussion only" project, for
example "apache/maven-project" on GH, that would contain no source, no
issues, only discussions enabled and would serve as a "low barrier lobby"
for newcomers.

Opening discussions in _existing repository_ is unwise IMHO, as "general"
discussions/questions do not belong to apache/maven, nor
apache/maven-clean-plugin, nor any other existing repo.

I truly do like your idea and also agree with Lukasz -- never give up to control to a single party, especially one like MS.

Upshot: One entry point with an empty repo.