Do we have some download stats (not a poll) - maybe on sdkman or some jdk
vendors side?
Recently I saw (with customers I'm working on) the java 17 adoption being
quite large and since people stucked to 3.9 will be covered for java 8 I
think it could be sane to switch *master* if we can validate with actual
figures (with little bias) that java 17 is >= 50% (being said the forward
way is it will only increase).

Side note: I'm not sure toolchain workaround is of any help there since the
main case will likely stay "use the contextual one and I don't have others
to offer you".

So overall, if we can find some convergence that java 17 is getting widely
adopted I would be to switch now fo rmaven 4 without any toolchain hack.

Romain Manni-Bucau