Hi,

On 19.07.22 20:38, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 12:25 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de
<mailto:khmarba...@gmx.de>> wrote:

    Hi to all,

    what do you think about using JDK17 as minimum requirement for running
    the future Apache Maven 4.0.0 ?

Bluntly, its an atrocious idea that work would likely lead to forks of
maven or a lot of projects abandoning it for other build systems, as
well as many more never upgrading.

Developer preference does not outweigh the needs of the massive
installed base.

If some will fork Maven why not? It's open source. Projects abandoning
for other build system? Gradle for example forces people much more often
to upgrade even for a simple upgrade of a library (junit jupiter) and
broken much more often than Maven ever... This is a Major Release which
can break things... and it will take a time to be adopted... The same
way as Maven 3.X took a longer time..(the unit here is years..).

There are people which will not upgrade yes I'm aware of that... many
people of such kind got a wake-up-call via log4shell or alike... and yes
some of them will not upgrade at all... but that will not change a thing
because people are not upgrading to most recent versions of Maven anyway
(people currently using Maven 3.3.1 or 3.6.3 also seen more older
version etc.) ..

Furthermore a lot of other frameworks for example Spring/Spring Boot
3.0.0 are going that direction (lift the minimum)..

Yes I know developers might not a point...  I already have started a
poll on twitter, currently trying to start a poll on LinkedIn.. .etc.
which are users not developers..

What would be the alternative ?

Stuck on JDK 8 ?

From the community point of view I would see it that way that newer
versions of Java (which is the way it works) will be needed to attract
others here...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

    Kind regards