I'd really like to
  * use JEP 442 to get rid of the JNI and native libs in jline, jansi and
mvnd (but that's for JDK 21)
  * use JEP 380 (unix domain sockets) to be able to cleanly implement
https://github.com/apache/maven-resolver/pull/269
  * use some helper methods that have been added: List.of(),
Stream.toList(), Files.readString() to name just a few
  * have syntactic sugar with text blocks, enhanced switches...

The first one is out of reach in the very short term, but keeping JDK 8 for
ten more years would mean I'll never be able to get rid of those native
libs builds.  I'm not very good at writing those libraries and supporting
various platforms is a real pain.  The others can always be worked around,
as usual when you talk about upgrading to a more recent JDK, it's mostly
improvements and standardization, it's never really blocking as people have
long found workarounds if really needed.