I couldnt agree more with the sentiments that code in *all its guises* must
be explcitly managed. you don't compile arbitrary code, don't use arbitrary
compilers, don't link against arbitrary libraries... arbitrary bad. Build
scripts are code, christ even my shell is a dependency to be managed
(mid-90s multi-platform C++ coming back to haunt me). As others have said I
think migration and upgrade scenarios are better supported by tools, plugins
and docs, not inference and discovery (and by this i mean a plugin that
tells you what is potentially available for upgrade)