I am only speaking in regard to MNG-3092, there are several other related
issues which I think all should be fixed

Cons
----------------------

1) Continuous integration of trunks
I would like to be able to run the tests of all of my artifacts against a
build of trunk of every other. How I currently achieve this...

Use continuum with clean install and force a rebuild of every artifact on a
regular basis.

If MNG-3092 were to go ahead in order to include a snapshot in a build I would
have to change the dep of each artifact to include a -SNAPSHOT in one of the
bounds.

2) Using MNG-3092 is not the correct approach to exclude snapshots from
releases. The enforcer plugin can detect and alert when a  snapshot is
resolved anywhere in the transitive tree. It would be nice to be able to bind
this to a release

Pros
---------------------------------
1) stops you getting inconsistent builds when you have a snapshot repository
in your repository list that has artifacts matching a range

2) will stop (i think) dirty builds from snapshot metadata in the local
repository. The local repository has multiple personality disorder. There is
no way to enable disable the local metadata left in the local repository
after a release or install. If the local repository cache was separate and
the actual local repository (i.e. for installs) was a first order repo then
this problem would go away

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:14:59 Stephen Connolly wrote:
> IMHO
>
> I think a vote with the two positions clearly identified (perhaps with pros
> and cons for both if the pair of ye can agree on the pros and cons).
> (unless somebody else has a third position)
>
> -Stephen.
>
> On Jan 30, 2008 12:56 PM, Mark Hobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 30/01/2008, Mark Hobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I don't think that linking this level of artifact resolution
> > > uncertainty to its source repository is a good idea.  How version
> > > ranges are resolved should be completely deterministic and independent
> > > from where the artifact was actually downloaded from, otherwise we'll
> > > end up with no end of build reproducibility problems.
> >
> > In addition, the local repository would be exempt from these rules.
> > This would require manually deleting artifacts from the local repo to
> > ensure that certain versions weren't picked up; a maintenance
> > nightmare I'm sure you'll agree.
> >
> > How's best to proceed with resolving this issue?  Would voting make
> > sense, or should the PMC lay down the intended direction?  I'm not
> > sure whether this thread needs to get any longer.. :)
> >
> > Mark

Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]