Firstly IMHO of MNG-3092 is that is it not the right thing for maven in
general.

I believe with MNG-2994 and appropriate use of profiles to enable and disable
snapshot repositories you can have everything that you want and still
maintain the ability to allow any snapshot to be injected when desired.
There is a little gem that i discovered - or maybe i just imagined it - the
resolution tree is built from metadata, if you have no local metadata and
MNG-2994 is fixed then you can control the resolution of any artifact by
controlling its set of repositories - irrelevant of if a snapshot is cached
in the local repo.

There is one caveat: the local repository is a merging of two things... a
local repository and a cache of remote repositories... which is unfortunate
because that means deploy ends up installing local metadata and that results
in my view of snapshots and other peoples views of snapshots being different.
So the act of deploying or installing breaks the use of repository selection
because local metadata is always used. Perhaps the 'local' repository
metadata should be maskable as well. Strictly speaking there is no reason it
should be treated differently.

I'm concerned that MNG-3092 is a one way street where better more flexible
solutions could exist. But having said that if you did fix 3092 it would not
adversely affect me right now. And if it does... well I'll figure something
out.

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer