> Otherwise, plugins should by convention agree to handle a null value for
> the encoding parameter to denote some fixed encoding. This way, > upgrading
> Maven will not affect the default encoding behavior.
The convention has to be shared between every plugin and the super POM. I
dislike the pure formal convention, that every plugin would copy/paste.
Coded as an API like "String checkSourceEncoding(String encoding)" method to
AbstractMojo, that every plugin would call: "encoding =
checkSourceCodeEncoding(encoding)" is ok for me

+1, on the general idea with the helper method to materialize the convention. I only fear that AbstractMojo is not a good candidate to host this method: AbstractMojo is part of the uber JAR and hence plugins cannot use a different version of this class until they increase their prerequisite on Maven to 2.0.10+. Maybe we could drop the method somewhere into plexus-utils' ReaderFactory?

Benjamin