Herve,

Just a proposal: Maven could loosen its parsing rules when it detects
versions greater than it is configured to accept. This can't be without
limits, of course, perhaps in the range of a single point release: 4.0 <=
4.0.x < 4.1. But perhaps within the 4.0.x series, it would accept undeclared
elements instead of strict parsing against the XSD. So if a 4.0.0 parser is
given a 4.0.1 POM, it must at least match 4.0.0 but also accepts undeclared
elements.

Forward compatibility would be nice.

Paul