On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:20:40 Ralph Goers wrote:
> Why aren't you using dependencyManagement instead of the technique shown
> below?
Good question, please refute/correct/flame if/where possible

1) there was no way to use dependencyManagement with deps  when I adopted the
technique. This works now with pom depedencies i think but I'm not certain it
provides all the benefits.

2) because and i might be wrong but dependencyManagement messes with the
version defined up the chain when what I want is a localised enforcement, its
important to isolate the dependency and apply exclusions and version
restrictions to guarantee that I get consistent resolution.

3) also because i actually use jars for the composites/constraints so that the
poms and pom properties end up in my aggregations - they are single merged
together... reasons are OT - so i can unravel what actually ended up in the
jar if needed.

4) is it possible to use version ranges in dependencyManagement? I was
thinking not but have not tried recently. Once you get a reasonable set of
constrained external depdencies you naturally want to define them in terms of
each other to reduce overhead and to ensure better consistency

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer