If you will all excuse a voice from the peanut gallery:

Many PMCs take a very relaxed attitude toward external dependencies
that are self-evidently qualified under the 'previously answered
questions' list from Apache Legal. At CXF, for example, no one even
raises an eyebrow about adding a 'category A' dependency to a non-ASF
/ non-ASL component. If some folks would like the maven PMC to hold a
vote to adopt that attitude, might I suggest that you hold a vote for
that idea and thus reduce the collective blood-pressure?