-1 or: I do not agree ;)

seriously, a +1 and -1 just states agreement/disagreement. Imo a vote is a vote
is a vote only if the subject says [VOTE] or [DISCUSS] [1].

A +1 in all other threads are just the expression of a ack/nack which makes it
easier/quicker to read, because the +1 or -1 just visually jumps out of the
text. If people start expressing their gut feeling with long sentences, then
this might slow down the process/overview on the mailing lists.

LieGrue,
strub

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DocumentationPlan