Den 19.06.2011 23:08, skrev Gavin McDonald:

I would be happy with weeks to be honest. Then again I have been used to being
around
slower projects that have released only every 2 or 3 years once 1 or 2 hundred
issues have
been gathered into a release. And the release process itself takes weeks of
work to
achieve.

Therefore ignore me, 3 issues seems like doing a days work, then release, then
another days
work, then release etc ...

Given a very quick count, the apache maven project contains something like 90 individually deployable and separately votable artifacts. Our users upgrade these components individually according to need. Each component is individually tested and voted for; maven is not a monolithic application and should not be released as one.

The downside of this componentization is that sometimes fixing a single issue leads to the redeployment of multiple artifacts, at the moment I'm working on 1 issue that will require the redeployment of 8 different artifacts (6 votes at apache, 2 elsewhere) before it's closed in its full extent. Most likely I'll have votes for 2 of these "soon" and I'll just let the remaining 4 roll out together with releases planned by others. But in this context I simply refuse to consider if a single release vote is too large or too small.

From an agile perspective there's potential to getting a lot more issues fixed with a single year than the kind of project you mention. I have no specific stats but I assume we fix at least a thousand issues every year.

Some of our projects have sufficiently good automated test coverage that I suspect we could allow incremental .1 releases to go without a vote entirely. I'm not sure if this is something we're even allowed to consider ;) (Surefire would probably qualify, assuming we did some kind of formalized "continious production" kind of review)

I think ideally we should release every top-level component every 6 weeks or so. But that means we'd have 1-3 votes every day ;)

Kristian