On 12/1/11 10:27 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
2011/12/1 Jörg Schaible<joerg.schai...@scalaris.com>:
Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

Olivier Lamy wrote:

I'd like to release Apache Maven 3.0.4 (take 2).
[...]
Note the difference with first vote is an upgrade of aether to 1.13.1

What about the memory issue that Jörg brought up? Shouldn't we at least
understand the cause and potential impact on other users before
continuing the release?

Continue, I'll report later, but it seems that there's no regression in 304
vs 303.

Thanks!

@Benjamin: I tend to say we must release it (maybe the famous "early
and often' :-) ).

Early-and-often is great, but it's not an excuse to be lax on quality standards. Hudson had some famously horrible releases early on, and I suspect they had to do with sacrificing concerns about quality on the altar of early-and-often.

An RC would take less than a week more if the code really is ready to go. If it's not, then we don't want to release it, do we?

My goal is to provide a release point (stable tagged build) to get feedbacks.
Trying to reach/wait the "perfect release" without those feedbacks is
IMHO impossible.

Actually it's not; the feedback comes by way of RCs. This is why it's so important to do RCs for Maven core. Maybe we can skip the RC process on plugins (I tend to think a single, quick RC is still a good idea there), but the core is far, far more complex. Even with a huge IT set we cannot hope to cover all use cases there, so it's simply not enough.

If Jörg's issue doesn't pop up in this staged release, then I'd say let's just learn that lesson for next time. It takes a little longer using RCs, but it's the ONLY way we've been able to produce releases that weren't riddled with regressions in the past. Even with a strong IT suite, it's still good practice.

As an aside, we might as well call this staging of 3.0.4 a RC and discuss it here as if it was. The main difference is procedural IMO, in that this is a [VOTE] thread, not a [DISCUSS] thread about whether the staged RC is ready to go. IMO that's an important distinction, since the 72h time limit is lurking nearby, but we'd still want to time-box the review of any RC

The previous "issue" for ngnix users was blocker as some oss forge use
it. So I cancel it and restart one (and thanks for the fast aether
change).
But for such memory issue at least users can change MAVEN_OPTS.
My email [1] to Jörg describe various things to test on his private
company build (I hope he will have time to provide such feedbacks with
a stable maven build)

Cheers,
Jörg

John Casey