> And if the "mvn deploy" fails for any reason?

We get this often enough with a crappy connection to our nexus servers.

> Is it necessary to re-run release:perform?

release:perform may be at the stage where it has deleted the
configuration file details, in which case you just revert to the
manual steps that release:perform is automating for you.

If its tagged everything correctly, and you build is fine - but the
upload to the staging repository failed, then you can do this
yourself.

Or you can just re-spin the release process. No drama.

> And does that always create a fresh workspace?

Yes.