On 25 June 2013 20:15, Uwe Schindler <u...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree with sebb. I am not a Maven committer, but the release revision is
> very important in the Lucene Project (where I am the chair).
> We have another workflow, working with revision number:
> - Release manager produces source and binary artifacts from a checkout of the
> current development brank (trunk aka 5.x or stable aka 4.x), publishes them
> on people.apache.org in a folder named
> http://people.apache.org/~use/staging-area/lucene-solr-X.Y-r1234567
> - Release manager does *not* create an SVN tag at that time!!! The vote is on
> the revision and artifacts only!
> - We have automated release testing (we check for spurious files in the
> archives by our python-based "smoke tester"). This checks things like all
> JARs have correct META-INF, no license files are missing, NOTICE files are
> referring to *all* external dependencies, LICENSE.txt is in root folder of
> TGZ, line feeds are unix-only, release binary was compiled with the *minimum*
> JDK version (what we use as -source/-target for javac), and so on.
> - Once vote passes, release manager tags the exact revision number as used
> above in the folder name (svn cp -r1234567 ...) and releases the artifacts.
>
> By that there is no need to recreate tags, because the tag is only created
> when the stuff was actually released. This is a slightly different workflow,
> but is proven to work since years now.

Since the release process uses the revision number, it does not
particularly matter that the code is still in trunk; after all trunk
and tags are just names.

I find it easier to work with a named tag (perhaps because I am used
to it), but so long as the SVN source is uniquely identified and used
to compare against the source contents it does not matter what the
name is.