Github user LosD commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metamodel/pull/156

    @kaspersorensen Regarding explaining settings, we could just export the
formatting rules from the IDEs, and explain in CONTRIBUTE.md to use those. At
least Eclipse and IntelliJ has that option.

    The hard part is making them agree 100%... E.g. Eclipse and IDEA has rather
different ways of formatting ternary operators, especially when there's also
method chains involved. And Eclipse has this lame-o thing with grouping
top-level domains (org, com, dk, etc.) in own sort groups (seemingly in reverse
alphabetical order, just because), instead of just java and javax. IDEA doesn't
have that option, so you need to specify those groups manually. Eclipse also
has this (very nice) feature with separate line lengths for JavaDoc and code
which IDEA doesn't have.

    We ran into other things for DataCleaner, but those are the ones I remember
best. We ended up with these two formatters:
    https://github.com/datacleaner/DataCleaner/blob/master/Formatter-Eclipse.xml
    https://github.com/datacleaner/DataCleaner/blob/master/Formatter-IDEA.xml

    They're not perfect (and I don't think they can be, unless the Eclipse and
IDEA folks sit together and decide to make the formatters compatible), but
they're reasonable. Most files has no changes when formatted by one and then
the other, and for those that does is usually only a line or two.

    (If we end up using this as a "format everything" commit, can we make sure
to squash it, and make _very_ clear in the commit message that there's no
functional changes in it (and of course make sure that's true.). It can be
quite a PITA to do annotations and other history browsing otherwise?)

---
with INFRA.
---