Hope you don’t mind if I chime in.  There are a couple very basic points which
are in the documentation, but may not jump out at a new user, who is trying to
learn Metron at the same time as MaaS.

1. In the thread below there is only a brief reference to the main
documentation page for MaaS, at
https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-analytics/metron-maas-service
 Hopefully you’ve read it, but if not please do.

2. The “model”, with its required REST API, is expected to run in its own
sub-system, which may or may not be co-resident with the Metron installation,
depending on load considerations.  Metron provides very useful optional
infrastructure for YARN provisioning, deployment, and monitoring of co-resident
models, as described in the above web page. However, the model subsystem is
considered to be external to Metron itself, by design.

3. The interface to MaaS is via a few specific Stellar function outcalls, which
access the model’s REST API, and configuration information in Zookeeper.  These
calls may be used anywhere Stellar is acceptable.  The most logical place to
use an outcall to MaaS is in a Stellar Enrichment bolt, but it also makes sense
to use it in a Stellar field transformation in a Parser bolt.

Hope this is useful,
--Matt