We should add something to the PR template about this.  Did we change the
contributor’s guide?

Also, are there common steps to take with Intellij, so that we all do the
same thing
for mass reformats?

On August 11, 2017 at 08:14:21, Justin Leet (justinjl...@gmail.com) wrote:

Now that METRON-746 <https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/577> is in, we
have a consistent code formatting setup where (for the most part) it can be
autoapplied.

Barring one existing PR, the main thing is just picking a module, doing the
format, and testing it out. Obviously, I'd like to avoid collisions with
any major PRs out there (say METRON-777
<https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/530>), so things like parsers are
out.
Does anybody have any thoughts on what should be grabbed first? Maybe
metron-stellar since it's pretty easy to test and even though it gets PRs,
they're typically fairly small and contained?

The main hiccup before being able to do any blanket reformatting is this
PR:
METRON-1087: Adjust license headers to be comments instead of Javadoc
<https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/685>

Without it, all the license headers get reformatted in Javadoc style when
autoformatted (this actually happened before, but since we didn't actually
format our code much it was pretty benign). Once this is in, I'm fine doing
any headers that sneak in via PRs, it's a pretty easy find/replace in the
editor.

Once we're confident this works fairly smoothly, it should be pretty easy
to branch out and start hitting more modules in whatever priority order we
want.

Justin