Github user anandsubbu commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/817

    You're right @nickwallen , it wouldn't work. I reworked on the patch and
here are the latest changes:
    - moved the ES template installation back to the Indexing "start" method
    - use a flag file to ensure the template installation runs only once. And
so any start/restart of Indexing topology does not get affected.
    - enclosed the template installation in a try/except block so that we warn
and move on in the event of ES service not running.

    I ran the following test scenarios to validate the changes:

    **Full dev deployment**

    - [x] Verified that the Indexing Start step also installs the ES templates.
    - [x] Verified that the flag files are created under $METRON_HOME/config
    - [x] Restarted Indexing service and verified that template install is not
called.

    **12-node deployment**

    - [x] Verified that the Indexing Start step also installs the ES templates.
    - [x] Verified that the flag files are created under $METRON_HOME/config
    - [x] Restarted Indexing service and verified that template install is not
called.
    - [x] Stopped the ES service manually before the Indexing service starts
and confirmed that the Indexing service startup proceeds successfully with a
warning message indicating the template could not be installed

---