Metron generates alerts onto a Kafka queue, which can be used to integrate with
Alert management tools, usually some sort of existing alert aggregation tool.

An alternative approach common with this is to have a tool like Apache NiFi
attach to the Metron alert feed and send email.

The solution here would be to have Metron generate alerts (by adding the
is_alert: true flag in the enrichment process) and possibly other flags like
alert_email for example, and then have NiFi use ConsumeKafka and then filter
out the alert only messages in NiFi to use the PutEmail processor (probably
with a ControlRate before it too).

Something I would caution is that email is not a great way to manage or send
alerts at the volume likely to occur in network monitoring tools. A spike in
network traffic can lead to a very large number of emails, which tends to then
cause you bigger problems. As such we usually find people want some sort of
buffering or aggregation of alerts, hence the use of a an alert management or
ticketing solution in front.

Simon