Github user justinleet commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/934

    I wanted to chime in and make a distinction here for anyone looking in from
the outside.  We're limiting ourselves to a Hadoop distribution for our dev
environment, not in general.  Things primarily get tested on HDP for this
reason, but we don't limit ourselves in general.

    The problem with that mpack is that it uses Solr 5.5.2, and it would be
nice to use a more modern version, based on the discuss thread. Having said
that, I'm not at all opposed to using an mpack if it fits our needs. There are
definitely benefits to having an install approach that fits the general mpack
install we already do.

---