So, the notion is- we're going to have a 0.4.0 release at some future
point. If, during that release cycle, we found critical bug fix type issues
that we wanted to release out of cycle, we could patch the 0.3.0 branch and
cut a release from there. You're correct that we'd have to commit them to
both branches. I don't know of a way to avoid that with that type of stuff,
so I think the best we can do is to minimize them.

Alternatively, we can decide that the next release will be 0.3.1 and either
abandon the notion of semantic versioning [1] (i.e. put features and bug
fixes in a x.x.1 release) or only release bug fixes.

I don't really have a strong preference excepting that I know for sure that
master will no longer be 0.3.0 once 0.3.0 is released, so we should bump
the rev immediately following the 0.3.0 release (if not sooner).

-D...

[1] http://semver.org/