Hi,

I'm not going to express my opinion on this matter, because the community
is who has to decide what's best for the project.

I just want to say that there is no ASF/Incubator requirement that a
project/podling must use Jira as issue tracking system. There are other
projects using other hosted tools (for  instance, Tomcat uses Bugzilla),
and there are projects relying on GitHub issues (e.g., OpenWhisk).
Personally I think Jira brings quite some benefits, but it comes at a cost.
In any case, you just need to properly prepare INFRA to have a backup of
all the activities of the project relying on third party services (as you
have with GitBox).

Cheers,