Hi,

A little over a month ago, we announced the nightly build of the Scala
package on Nexus [1]. It featured the same statically linked binary build
logic used by the Python pip to make the adoption as easy for our JVM users
as for our python users. However, that release occurred on a private
pipeline using code that was not publicly available.

First, I would like to thank Sheng for contributing the pip binary build
scripts to the community and making them accessible as part of the MXNet
repository [2]. Now, everyone can produce similar published artifacts for
their own needs and we can better verify the release production code as
part of the Jenkins CI.

Using his contribution, we have created a new job on the MXNet Jenkins for
publishing artifacts on a nightly basis [3]. In order to ensure the highest
quality for our releases regardless of user system, it will automatically
test the artifacts across other distributions including Ubuntu 16.04,
Ubuntu 18.04, and CentOS 7 as part of the deployment.

You can find the code for the nightly publish pipeline on the repo [4]. We
hope that others can work off of this pipeline to help expand the same
static building and thorough testing to additional MXNet packages and
language bindings in the future.

Special thanks to Qing for his help throughout the project, Sheng for the
binary build logic, Marco for his reviews and support working with Jenkins,
Anton for setting up the development Jenkins for us, and Frank and Naveen
for work on the Scala maven build and deployment.

Zach

[1] - https://repository.apache.org/#nexus-search;quick~org.apache.mxnet
[2] -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/tree/master/tools/staticbuild