I tried to perform the release one more time, but I was not able to see the
assembly files in the nexus repository. I noticed that they were created
locally inside the .m2 directory, but not sure if that needs to be
committed somewhere. I stored them in people.apache.org private account for
now.

On nexus repository I only see the snapshot of 2.3.1-SNAPSHOT:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/myfaces/core/myfaces-core-module/2.3.1-SNAPSHOT/
It makes sense since I'm seeing in the pom.xml a reference to the snapshot
repo. But I don't see a release repository configured. Maybe we need to add
some kind of configuration in the pom.xml similar to
http://maven.apache.org/pom/asf/

Do we always have to create a new JIRA issue to enable nexus access to
setup the project in the nexus repository? If so I need to go through that
step listed here:
https://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html#signing-up