@Abderrezak
> My question is: does Bosch allow the "re-distribution" of their
> proprietary library?
There are two parts to the Bosch library - the first it the BME680
driver, which, according to the license agreement can be redistributed
in both source and compiled forms no problem. The other is the
precompiled binary which forms the core of the BSEC library. I've
integerated the BME680 library into the mynewt sensor framework. I've
implemented the BSEC library as a separate mynewt module that you can
optionally include into your project. This would either be commited
into the main mynewt code, or available as a separate third party
repository on github. The compiled library however, will not be
distributed with the code and must be downloaded by the user and
placed into the relevant folder in order for the project to compile.

Thanks for your comments @Kevin and @Andrey. I think for the BME680,
I'll stick with USER_DEFINED for now until we can come up with a more
general system. Ultimately, the gas sensor resistance is not really a
final value to be used and so I think it's OK for it to fall under the
USER_DEFINED category.