Extending ppb to uint64_t definitely doesn't make sense since maximum value for it is 10^6, which is 32bit value.

Sincerely yours, CO :)

BR,
Andrey

On 19.07.2018 18:41, Kevin Townsend wrote:

Thanks for your comments @Kevin and @Andrey. I think for the BME680,
I'll stick with USER_DEFINED for now until we can come up with a more
general system. Ultimately, the gas sensor resistance is not really a
final value to be used and so I think it's OK for it to fall under the
USER_DEFINED category.
We should only define values based on standard and repeatable units, I agree,
so USER_DEFINED makes sense here, though you might want to make which
USER_DEFINED entry (1-6) selectable via syscfg.yml.

This does still bring up a valid discussion about important sensor groups like 'gas',
though.

I was thinking, for example, we could define 1-bit for 'gas' and then hijack the triplet value type, where the first 32-bit value could define the gas type, and then the second value could contain the value in ppb (which could possibly be extended
to a uint64_t, though I don't know if that's useful in the real world)?

K.