Jonathon Blake wrote:

> For English, regional groups make slightly more sense than one NLP ---
> if only because regional groups could handle translation into English
> better.

I don't think so... you don't seem similar distinctions between all the
variations of Spanish. And the differences I see between Spanish spoken in
different countries is greater than that between Brits and Yanks.

Another important issue to consider is not dividing our volunteers too
much. There is an optimum region. Having too many people in a group is
incredibly inefficient (I believe that some OOo lists suffer from this).
But having too few is also ineffective.

And yet a third issue is that NLs are not intended to correspond to
countries, but rather to linguistic groups. I *like* that, and wouldn't
want to lose it. I would not feel confortable on an "American NL" or an
"British NL". That just rubs the the wrong way. But I would be right at
home at an "English NL".

> A north_american_regional_group would, by default, have to include, at
> a minimum, Spanish, and French.  [French being an official language of
> Canada.  Spanish being an official language in two states and the
> dominant language in five states of the united states.

Indeed, you're right. Yet another problem with country/region groups
(that's a fourth point).

And a fifth point: Marketing already has MarCons that are divided based on
regional boundaries.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today!  | I want it Tuesday.