On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:09 PM Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at> wrote:

> I have the same problem:
> E.g., NB doesn't accept a current javahl. So, where would I find the
> module where the check happened (I grep'ed for the error message and
> found it). Are there dependencies? If I want to improve the error
> message (right now it is hidden in the log files), how to do it?
>
> So, summarizing, an eagles view of what  NB is composed of, would be a
> start. Sthg., that would help newcomers to understand the code of NB.

In many ways, the current GitHub structure provides the eagle's view you
seek:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans

Rather than it being a long list of modules, the above categorizes them
into their clusters, reflecting what you see in your NetBeans installation
directory.

Indeed, grepping is a good approach to find the code you need to work with.

You can also search directly in the GitHub repo on-line in the web
interface.

The dependencies of any modules are always listed in the project.xml file
of a module.

And this IMHO continues to be the best book on the NetBeans Platform:

https://leanpub.com/nbp4beginners

Gj