Well as you see the dependencies are quite extensive, I would judge that probably it won't even worth to try io represent it in 2D. Someone made some visualization earlier which was more for fun than useful.

If you find something that you would like to explore, the best way is to search on some string the UI has or the log reports in the source code. I still use that technique when I would like to find something I haven't worked on.

Beside of that you need to know how the Lookups are working and the Layer filesystem registration. BTW if there were a Noble prize in the Java World, I'd definitely nominate Jaroslav Tulach for the Lookup API. So it is worth to check out.