I'm interested in python. Before considering reviving it in NB, is/was this python integration pretty complete? Are the alternatives (whatever they might be and not necessarily part of netbeans) so much better that NB python is a real longshot? In particular, does/would this attract users?

There's around 700 files in contrib/python.*.

About contrib. IIRC, the contrib modules reference ../netbeans and it's flat. Is this required? Any reason they can't be built without building netbeans (guess it's not a big deal)? Are there other, in addition to python, multi-module projects in contrib, and can/should there be a restructuring of contrib directory/project layout as there was with netbeans?

-ernie