On Tue, 6 Oct 2026 at 10:35, Jaroslav Tulach <[email protected]> wrote:
> > When opening such a project, it (almost all the time) makes sense to **open
> all the projects** in the Git repository.
...
> By opening a Maven parent POM without opening all its subprojects, we are back
> where we started. E.g. inconsistent UX only for "experts".

Firstly, let's remember that opening all subprojects and opening all
projects in a git repository do not necessarily correlate, although in
a lot of cases may.

As I said on your original PR, one of the easiest things we could do
is change the default value of Open Required Projects: to true on the
Open Project dialog.

I don't see the issue with adding a gate if the number of projects is
too high - ie. confirm with user. That's not that different to the
dialog when people try to open a large file in the editor.  It could
use some other heuristics too as that dialog section is populated?
Not sure it has to be perfect, but erring on the cautious.

That's not just performance.  The UI isn't great with many (20+)
projects open either.  The depth prefixing is a minor improvement, but
it would be good to explore better support for nesting / filtering the
view.

I also suggested the possibility to add Open as New Group or similar
to Open Project.  I'm not entirely sure whether some of the things
being considered are not better approached from the project
perspective than the group one.

I said it's worth looking at user requests over time here.  I haven't
looked back over much as yet, but this recent one is worth reading -
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/9572  It covers a lot of
this area.

>From that, I would still like to see project tree support that mirrors
the View Java Packages as -> List / Tree, allowing to switch nesting
on and off.  The option to collapse things in the view comes up
multiple times.  The complaints about logical vs physical view are
also common, and probably as much of an "expert" feature to consider
if we really want to make changes here.  Still, at the same time,
let's not just follow what other tools do for the sake of it - we have
hundreds of thousands of users who are using the IDE, presumably
mostly by choice! :-)  In other words, having different concepts from
other projects can be a positive, having the UX feel like it's only
for experts is not.

Best wishes,

Neil

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

For further information about the NetBeans mailing lists, visit:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Mailing+lists



Reply via email to