On Oct 14, 2016, at 08:53, Emilian Bold <emilian.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This incubation is just the beginning of NetBeans under Apache. We don't
> have to reinvent ourselves at once.

I agree with that.

> Let's first see how people start contributing and if there is friction due
> to different work approaches, I'm sure some new consensus will be reached.

I think that is feasible as long as everyone agrees if we need to shift we will
do it quickly, and we give it some thought ahead of time so it isn’t such a big
deal if/when it happens.

> Like I've mentioned before, I don't believe the repository size is an
> issue. It's a big project with a big history. Even if I could checkout just
> the file I want to patch, in order to build and test that I would still
> have to download the NetBeans binaries and the smallest download is 110MB.

But not exactly apples to apples…even without history you are talking about
110MB to 1GB which is nearly a 1000% difference.

> Friend dependencies are also not a problem of the source code structure,
> it's a matter of API stability <http://wiki.netbeans.org/API_Stability>.
> It's easy to mark an API as Stable/Official and then the plugins problem is
> solved. But then somebody has to respect this contract and support that API
> throughout releases, which is not an easy task.

To me we are talking 2 different contexts though; supporting the framework for
the larger community versus a narrowed scope of who has to manage something
once it goes into the wild. Too, I think there are plenty of examples of folks
not being able to do something because of friend deps without becoming a
friend, and that seems to suggest it was easier to just “get there” and stop
without going further; resource contentions etc. Sure, that same thing could
happen even across repositories, and would need to be left that way for some
time, but I think definitely needs to be part of the process to address, and to
me is some times related to separation of development; monolith mindset versus
modular even if modular the mindset can set in with a gigantic blob of code all
bound by the build system and repository. I’m not saying it is directly
related, but I think there is good correlation as it tends to happen in
systems, and the trends seem to suggest it happens because of the culture of
way things are organized. This is called Conway’s Law, and I have an intuition
some of that may be at play with this topic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_law
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_law>

Wade