I have created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-7 to track
this improvement.

Indeed, I believe using the existing "language files" or "word files" from
other editors and a little NetBeans work we could provide basic editor
features for a whole range of file types.

For example, we would provide Groovy syntax highlighting out of the box and
users would get the full experience by installing the extra plugins.

We could even introduce a mechanism to promote to users the full plugins
(from the Plugin Portal, etc) once they start editing given file types.

--emi