Hi.
One option that hasn't been discussed yet is to merge work done in the
[jdk-javac branch](
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/tree/jdk-javac).

When this branch is merged, the Apache-NetBeans.zip download will be able
to work out of the box with the latest JDK9 javac. I believe it is the
right way to go forward as:
- this proposal makes NetBeans Java IDE usable without any addition GPL
download
- unlike other proposals, this one is implemented and almost ready
- it shows NetBeans strong connection with JDK by directly using the same
javac used for compilation
- it may encourage the JDK team to test their javac changes in NetBeans
- it makes latest language features instantly available in the IDE

Of course there are also some drawbacks:
- error recovery & co. isn't as great in nb-javac
- no support for running on JDK8
However these drawbacks can be overcome by downloading & installing
nb-javac for those users that really care. Possibly we can also get an
Apache board exception to distribute nb-javac as an optional component and
get the best of both solutions.

In any case, merging the jdk-javac branch is my favourite solution to our
"nb-javac problem".
-jt