Hi all,

Some comments inlined below

El 22/11/17 a las 23:26, Emilian Bold escribió:
A NetBeans release supporting Java 9 seems of utmost importance in 2017.

Fully agree. I'm not sure 2017 is feasible, though.

Initially we could just carve-out the pieces we can't ship. It's unfortunate
but not a roadblock for a Java developer not to have Hibernate tooling or a
MySQL connector in NetBeans. In time we can move those to separate community
(ie. non-Apache) plugins.

Definitely: I'd prefer starting as small as possible, and grow upon that (and see how strong we are now during the process).

Regarding IDE modules, and as a wise man once said: "Either use an Apache compatible license, adopt it, or get out of the way as a plugin module(s) somewhere at github".

I remember we had an open discussion with the Hibernate folks about relicensing
some DTDs. Are we also using JARs from Hibernate?

Maybe we should look into the way our clusters are grouped. I don't see why the
Java editor would have any kind of dependency on db.drivers.

We could make a `tinyide` cluster and put less modules in there and have the
java cluster depend on tinyide and extide.

I'm not sure cluster reorganization is feasible if we want to release in 2017. If cluster reorganization is the way to go then maybe the sooner the better.

But we may want to do that later on, and try to take JDK modules into account. Clusters could be organized to require as less JDK modules as possible. I'd love to see a "tiny platform cluster" run on top of java.base only.

Un abrazo,
Antonio

--emi
​