I think you maybe expecting to much. Not to come off harsh, but this is
FOSS. Usually people are either scratching their own itch. Or if you
haven't one. The normal process is look at bugs, see what you can fix,
where you can help out. Sometimes it spelled out for you with steps and
guides but not always. While in general it is good to have such I have
brought it up for other communities. It is a common process for any
FOSS project really the format is pretty much the same.

How one develops or contributes to a project varies. Some may used
Netbeans to develop Netbeans. Some may use other means. That varies and
not sure there should be any one way. Again its FOSS and part of that
being do it your way. You have access to code, etc.

Very few projects produce say a task list. The ones that do tend to not
have trivial needs that new people can help out with easily. Usually
for any FOSS project the best place for any new people get their feet
wet is working bugs. Pick any bug, find a way to resolve that. Make a
PR/Bug, etc. Figure out that process which may vary.

Also the fact that Netbeans is in transition right now I would not
really bother them and let them focus on the move and the rest. Once it
is settled in its new home, doing releases etc. Then can proceed with
the rest. I doubt there is much for new people to jump in and help out
with in that process.

Netbeans is not really trivial, though very modular and well designed.
Thus practical to work on furthering an area without having to fully
grasp it all. Still I do not see it being that easy for anyone to just
jump in and contribute. I have coded in Java for ~15+ years. Most if
not entirely on Netbeans, short of some Android stuff on Android
Studio/Idea. Now working on packing it from source. The more I work
with Netbeans sources the more I realize its complexity.

I am not sure how I could contribute off hand if I wanted to. Short of
coming up with a need/itch for myself and scratching it. Or working
bugs etc. But I am not sure I could jump in an help out. Not sure any
amount of guides would help. Plus if I need all those guides to help. I
am not sure what I can do in Netbeans. If I cant figure out how to
contribute etc. I will have a very hard time with valuable
contributions.

Not to say one cannot contribute in many ways beyond code, etc. Just
saying Netbeans is not really trivial. Not sure any amount of guides or
hand holding will help new people. It is a very advanced platform.
Maybe why Oracle is handing it over to Apache. To costly to maintain.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.