Hello William.

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 04:07:00 +0100
> Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Having a Linux package for NetBeans would be great. Thanks for doing
> > the work.
>
> I am packaging Netbeans for Gentoo based systems, or things using the
> portage tree.
>
> > If you can separate your problem to set of steps I can run on my
> > Ubuntu, I can try to investigate. All I know that
>
> Not that easy I am packaging it from source bit by bit, very abnormal
> build. All the netbeans-* directories
> https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/tree/master/dev-java

I would assume you get NetBeans-source.zip file, replace all binaries with
references to files from other packages and then invoke

$ ant build

Trying to replace the logic of `ant build` with custom scripts seems like a
too much needless work that is likely to break with every change into the
build scripts.

> With this for various functionality like Annotation processing
> https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/blob/
> master/eclass/java-netbeans.eclass

I've noticed
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/blob/master/eclass/java-netbeans.eclass#L240
all I can say is that NetBeans build doesn't use -proc parameters, the
processors are taken from the -classpath.

> Wrapper package that pulls in 100+ others.
> https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/blob/
> master/dev-util/netbeans/netbeans-9999.ebuild

A package per JAR file? I was involved in creating RPMs once and when I
proposed to add >1000 of NetBeans packages into the distro, the packagers
freaked out. Thus we ended up with one RPM package per cluster. My original
proposal for NetBeans packaging is still available and not much outdated:
https://openide.netbeans.org/proposals/arch/clusters.html - this approach
has also been used when building the packages for debian:
https://packages.debian.org/experimental/netbeans - see libnb-platform18,
etc. Why not follow the same style?

> > succeeds fine. Thus the error must be in your special steps.
>
> Yes it is definitely unique to what I am doing.
>
> > Btw. this is the processor that handles @NbBundle.Messages annotation:
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/
> master/openide.util/src/org/netbeans/modules/openide/util/
> NbBundleProcessor.java
>
> I am aware of you see below. I am using that. It was the first one I
> came across. I had to have it or many things would not compile without
> the needed Bundle.java/.class Which is generated.
>
> The problem I am having is not all annotations get processed. Many are
> missing from the properties file, and I can see them in the sources as
> below.

I would really advice to stick with `ant build`. We can adjust the build
scripts to suite the packaging needs, but duplicating the build logic isn't
something I consider sane.
-jt