On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 09:09:49 +0100
Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is some beauty in your approach, but it is a lot of work.

It is a lot of redundancy and tediousness but not really that much work
per se. The packages themselves are quite tiny. It is more time in
resolving what other packages are needed. What to package next, etc.

> For example I doubt NetBeans can be currently built with JDK9.

The majority can and has thus far just fine. Only ran into like 2 or 3
classes in total that needed to be address for Java 9. Presently stuck
on one with a LazyDocumentTable.Entry that is private now.

Along those same lines may be able to help with some patches to fix
issues under 9. Though can't really say I am there just yet.

> The  first thing I would do: set a regular Jenkins job to build on
> JDK9 and fix the regular Ant build to build with JDK9.

I was doing that I was having to many problems and wasting to much
time. Example
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/blob/master/dev-java/netbeans-platform/netbeans-platform-8.2-r11.ebuild#L113

Gentoo has python code to re-write ant build xml source/target. But
that has never worked with Netbeans and its in to many locations. There
is no support for --release. Thus I had to remove that stuff via sed
and then use javacargs to pass in other stuff.

But I ran into strange issues with ant under Portage I did not with ant
directly. The whole ant + portage stuff I am no longer a fan of and
looking to circumvent. Patching build.xml, fiddling with them etc is no
fun.
https://dev.gentoo.org/~fordfrog/distfiles/${PN:0:8}-${SLOT}-build.xml.patch.bz2
https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/blob/master/dev-java/netbeans-platform/netbeans-platform-8.2-r11.ebuild#L13

> However I can't tell you want to do: De gustibus non disputandum est.
> In any case, good luck! -jt

Thanks, its coming along very well. Making tremendous progress. I
packaged some 70+ pieces of eclipse just for lombok. This is much more
rewarding as I use it like other stuff I have packaged. Lombok was an
indirect dependency of spring. Which spring is like ever java library
ever written used in some form or another...

Just stuck on this one issue. Driving me crazy as I have overcome all
others. Once past this I can get a better clue as to other stuff. But
getting very few errors in message.log. Other than the annoying bundle
exceptions. Why it excludes some stuff no clue. But NbBundleProcessor
for sure creates files I need to build. Just not some stuff needed at
runtime, text messages.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.