See my reply in-line

On 02/18/2018 11:19 PM, Emilian Bold wrote:
Any kind of native OS integration helps.

I wouldn't want to depend on another service (like snapcraft.io).

We have our own Jenkins instance on Apache. Can't we build the snaps ourselves?
Certainly we can. As of Daniel: If they wish to use their own CI system then the steps are a bit different. In this case they need to login with a launchpad account at dashboard.snapcraft.io and register the netbeans name there. Again they will be prompted to file a claim on the name because it’s reserved, which can be answered the same way as above. Once they’ve registered the snap they will need to configure their CI system to build a .snap file and upload to the store on their own schedules. This method allows much more control, but comes at the expense of requiring more configuration. I don’t know the relevant details to configure a CI system to allow uploading to the store, but I believe you need to save an authorization token and use snapcraft CLI to upload.

I think the only requirements would be a recent Ubuntu LTS and snapcraft installed to build the snap.

We also have GitHub builds via Travis with dedicated Apache machines. Is it also impossible to build these snaps with Travis?
Could work as well, though the configuration of Travis might be tricky due to the authtoken and thr sna

At first, just having the scripts in place for these builds would be great (your PR kinda does this already).

Then we have to see if this is a convenience binary we want to provide in the future. If we commit on it, we have to maintain it. If it's just an experiment we could have an alpha binary or something available.

It would be nice to comment what you are doing there. As somebody that never used snap, it's unclear to me what these lines do:
Well these lines replace the default cache and userdir in netbeans launcher script in order to use Snap managed directories, so if you remove netbeans as snap these dirs would be removed as well, so we won't leave garbage behind. (Though I'm not entirely sure that this would be the recommended behavior.) Anyway I'm going to add the comments to the PR.

       sed -i 's/${HOME}\/.netbeans/${SNAP_USER_COMMON}\/data/' $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/netbeans/bin/netbeans       sed -i 's/${HOME}\/.cache\/netbeans/${SNAP_USER_COMMON}\/cache/' $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/netbeans/bin/netbeans

One of them seems to configure some caching? Is this NetBeans-level caching or something snap specific?

--emi