On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 at 16:33 John Kostaras <jkosta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If this is the case with the Java kingdom, then all these apps will move to
> other technologies that take advantage of the new hardware and the GPUs.

The Java kingdom does have quite a few of these things outside of the JDK
though.  That's why I said I don't think it's the only game in town.  There
are certain things that need that low-level hardware / GPU access,
including the things I work on myself and for others.   Not a lot of that
has anything to do with AWT / Swing, doesn't need to be in the JDK, and is
probably better off without AWT around (looking at you OSX /
startOnFirstThread!)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 at 16:37 Peter Steele <steeleh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What about the eclipse RCP framework which uses swt? This would seem to be
> a much better solution than having a html front end.

Eclipse is also building an IDE with a HTML front end! ;-)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 at 16:40 Christian Lenz <christian.l...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Have a look into electron apps. A lot of apps are written with this
> Framework like VS Code and I think this is a big Player and you can see,
> that it performs very well and it is performant as hell.

Mind you, I've spent a lot of the last couple of weeks in conversation with
people complaining about the performance and resource usage of Electron
apps too, including the coding environments!

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith