Hi

The Java module system does permit adding/removing (root) modules, and thus
modifying the module graph at runtime.
This is done through the layer API of the JPMS.
A layer would needed to be created (by netbeans under the hood) for each
module (and possible dependencies) at the time it is requested to be added
to netbeans.

I for once think that moving longterm to the new java module system would
be great to modernise netbeans

Regards