From: Oliver Rettig
Sent: 16 July 2018 13:47
To: dev@netbeans.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache NetBeans Apress Book

Hi all,

I like the idea of a  community-written book very much. This can encourage
people to join
our great community and it show that netbeans is now a apache project ... For
me the
community is one of the most important facts to work with netbeans and rarely
with eclipse.

I have some experience with writing a book for Tomcat 5:

https://www.rheinwerk-verlag.de/tomcat-5_700/

and the most important thing I have learned from this book project is: better
not to write
such books alone.

It would be a pleasure for me to write a chapter for a community-written
Netbeans book, or
may be to translate from english to german some parts, if we want to have a
german
version.

But I have less experience in organzing such things. In scientific communities
typically you
have an editor or a small team of editors. Their job is often really a lot of
work: to defines the
chapters/articles, to find people who can write the articles and to push the
authors to deliver
in the timeline.

An other question is where and how to publish the book. My experience with the
Tomcat
book was that the publisher was a really great help in formatting and
proofreading. And a
publisher can be a very big help in invertising for apache netbeans.

But it should be also possible to write the book without a publisher at our
own. In this case
we can have an open-pdf-Version of the book. Maye we can have this too with a
publisher?

best regards
Oliver