On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 15:07:38 -0400
"William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt...@o-sinc.com> wrote:

> This came up on PR-572
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/572

Since the PR is locked I cannot comment. The ONLY reason such change
breaks is the Travis-CI build is run under 1.8 ONLY[1]. It seems other
JDKs available under Travis are being ignored[2]. Such that if NB build
on Travis used JDK 11 it would fail as well... It may also fail with
JDK 9 or JDK 10. Not sure why Travis builds do not test under those
newer JDKs and only builds using Java 8.

JDK 11 release is next month. JDK 10 is current. If there was a JDK 10
job on Travis. That PR fix would likely have passed. Given it is a
valid change under JDK 10, as well as 11.

Its this holding onto legacy Java 8. We want more contributions to
support an arch the contributor will never use or run. My interest is
in current JDK and newer, not older. I submit changes for newer. But
they are held back, because such changes MUST support older than newer.

Is Netbeans forward or backward minded?

1. https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-netbeans/jobs/387221179/config
2. https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java/#using-java-10-and-later

--