On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 07:38:10 +0200
Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com.INVALID> wrote:

> We need to be clear about whether this is about building on a
> particular JDK or running on a particular JDK.

I am mostly interested with building. Though I tend to run on the same
JDK I used for building.

In theory it should be possible to use newer JDK for build and run
under older via --release. Providing no modules need modules or exports.
Since --release cannot be combined with --add-modules or --add-exports.

Anything not needing modules or exports in the JDK or outside. Should
be possible to build on newer JDK setting --release for running on
an older JDK. I have not had any issues with --release thus far.

> Also, I think before we discuss moving away from JDK 8 altogether, we
> need to be 100% sure that the support for the later JDKs is really
> perfect, i.e., that it really and actually completely works.

I thought that was the idea behind NB 9.0. Otherwise if NB 9.0 is just
more of Java 8 and does not fully support say 9/10, and 11 next month.
Not sure what the point of a 9.0 release was rather than 8.3. Or even a
8.5, which is usually used for things between JDK versions.

Otherwise I do fully agree there is solid support for newer JDKs before
moving away from 8. Happy to help where I can!

--
William L. Thomson Jr.