On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 9:24 AM Peter Hull <peterhul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The crash happens in native code, due to some calls made by

OK I have made some progress (on my own!). There some updates on the
JIRA issue too for those interested.

All I did was recompile the native dll for the windows-amd64 platform
using the latest MSVC. At a superficial level, this now works for me.
There were a couple of complications:
1. The build script is really old, referring to JDK16, MSVC 6 and
MSVC8
(https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/commit/74367dcd6f298790d3eee5bb3245b20c8a29d6b9)
- I hacked this to make it work.
2. There were some 64 bit <-> 32 bit warnings - I fixed these,
possibly this corrected some faulty behaviour
3. The build system downloads a zipfile containing all the native
libraries from the internet and caches it. It then unconditionally
copies the zip into the source tree, unzips it over the build
directory, then copies the build directory to the deployment
directory. So unless you "strike at the root" (i.e. disabling the
download mechanism) you will find your changes silently overwritten.
(you can tell this had me scratching my head for a while!!)

I would appreciate some feedback on this so far. If anyone wants to
try out my binary of profilerinterface.dll I can get it to them
somehow.

Also, I noticed the zipfile with binaries has a licence and it's the
CDDL - is this OK in the Apache world?
(https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/commit/ba70c38b946d16231082d3b861acfe6aa9606117)

Thanks,
Pete