OK, nice, in some ways.

What's a bit unfortunate is that one can't select a JDK in the New Project
wizard for New Web Applications -- whatever JDK is used to start NetBeans
is assigned to the newly created Java Web application.

The above is true for Ant-based projects and Maven-based projects. Somehow,
that's ignored in Maven-based projects, which run without a problem on
GlassFish 5 despite the JDK being JDK 11. So the question comes back to --
what does GlassFish need the JDK for if it can be ignored, apparently, when
a Maven-based Web application is able to start up without a problem even
though it has JDK 11 set? When I look in the POM, there's no reference to
the JDK, so in the case of Maven projects, it seems relevant to how
NetBeans supports GlassFish or Java EE, and not a requirement for the Maven
project to run on GlassFish.

Gj