We should definitely encourage review feedback from non-committers.
Getting additional perspectives, interest, and enthusiasm from users is
critical for any project, doubly so for an integrating application where
committers cannot be experts in all the systems we are integrating with.  I
believe NiFi could use more review bandwidth.  Are missing out on potential
reviewers because of the current policy?

I do not have any experience with non-committer "binding reviews" as
described in the Apache Gossip thread.  How would that work?  Wouldn't a
committer have to review the review and decide to commit?  If we knew the
reviewer well enough to accept their judgement, why not make them a
committer?

My expectation is that many non-committer reviews are helpful and
constructive, but not necessarily 100% comprehensive.  Reviewers might
comment on the JIRA ticket without working with the PR, or try the proposed
change without reviewing the code, tests, etc.  All great stuff, but
backstopped by committers.

Thanks,

James